My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Philippians 4

Thinking happy thoughts make you fly!

Summary:
Euodia and Syntyche - get on with each other! Everyone else help them and all my other workers. Always be happy in God. God is close, so don't get stressed, but just give everything to God and peace will follow. Think good throughts and do what I say.

Thanks for showing your concern for me. I mean, I'm fine. I've learnt to be fine no matter how hard it gets! But it's still appreciated. I love your generosity! You were the only church who gave me gifts from the beginning.

God Bless. Everyone says hi, including those working for the Emperor.

Key verses:
8. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
13. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

My thoughts:
Often verse 13 is used to say that we can do anything. We can freaken' fly if we want! We can create spaceships with the click of a finger. We can do EVERYTHING through him who gives me strength. BOO-YAH!

Of course, Paul here is actually referring to the that he can be content in the worst of situations. God helps him cope no matter how crap things turn. There's a bit of a different emphasis there...

I was listening to Richard Dawkins and Alister McGrath have a verbal battle royale the other night instead of sleeping, and they both agreed that you can tell when a society is getting evil when they start trying to, in big ways or small ways, police your thoughts. Thoughts should be ultimately free! So is Paul being a though police in verse 8? No, because there's a big difference between someone forcing you to think in a way, with some sort of deception or punishment if you fail, and encouraging each other to think in a way we think is good. It's up to them whether they take us up on it. If we take them up, it becomes our own choice, not their policing. Think happy thoughts. DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home