My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, December 12, 2007

1 Timothy 2

Good ol' fashioned Pauline woman bashing! Nothing quite like it to stir!

Summary:
Mostly we should pray for everyone, including anyone in authority. This pleases the God who wants us all to be saved, and pleases Jesus, our only stepping stone to God.

Women should dress modestly, and not cause a fuss when learning. She shouldn't have authority over a man. Man was made first. Woman was deceived first, though her painful childbearing makes up for that, aye fullas?

Key verses:
3-4. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

My thoughts:
The key verses were my favourite passage in the Bible for a bit because they unambiguously state that God wants everyone to be saved without exception. There aren't different classes of people in God's eye! He wants them all to be saved!

The last verse in this chapter has caused a bunch of fuss because it seems to imply that women's salvation coming through bearing children. This is obviously inconsistent with the rest of Paul's teaching, and I think the way I have put it above is an appropriate understanding of the text.

As for women being disallowed from having authority over men... um... I know plenty of young women who would swear by this, but then I know plenty would get all their hermeneutical machines running to show that Paul didn't really mean that. Because that's what hermeneutics is about...

I generally avoid the subject...

2 Comments:

Blogger Huggies said...

>I generally avoid the subject...

wimp :)

9:52 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

It goes along with, "Yes, you look beautiful today"

5:25 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home