My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Friday, December 14, 2007

1 Timothy 4

But God made dope...

Summary:
We know that there will be false teachings towards the end. People have already started this. They've told people not to marry, or eat certain foods. God made both sex and food so enjoy them both with thanksgiving.

It's good to teach this to people because though training your body is good, training your spirit is better!

Read and teach the scripture. Don't let anyone dismiss you because you're young, but set an example for everyone else. Dedicate yourself to these things!

Key verse:
12. Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

My thoughts:
I've always considered this one of the coolest verses in the Bible, but it seems to have less and less relevance the older you get! I guess I'm still pretty young, but I'm still one day older than yesterday!

I don't know how Catholics deal with these two chapters, because they make it pretty darn clear that church leaders should have one wife, and that it's wrong to tell people not to marry. I think singleness is an absolutely appropriate way to live for your whole life, but I think it's wrong to create expectations of celibacy for any role. I would even disagree with that aspect of monkhood. It just seems a no-brainer to me. The Roman Catholics simply aren't following the Bible, and there's no serious contender in the rest of the Bible to support their expectations.

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

NICE Blog :)

6:55 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

cheers Teri!

6:57 pm

 
Blogger Huggies said...

hehehe, I'm glad I'm not "catholic" anymore, otherwise I would have to respond to your comments.

I like being a free christian :) or should I say follower of jesus? or follower of the way? or jesus freak?

man labels suck...

12:08 am

 
Blogger Pete W said...

Just say "I follow Jesus. And His Holiness the Pope".

5:44 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home