My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, December 08, 2007

2 Thessalonians 1

Everlasting destruction

Summary:
You're getting better and better despite the persecution.  Know that everyone will get their just desserts when Jesus comes.  Some will be destroyed forever - separated from God - others will be glorified.  So we always pray for you.

Key verse:
9. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

My thoughts:
The last few chapters may not have linked to the NIV, but TNIV (Today's NIV).  I apologise for any heretical crap you may have been subject to.  I have now rectified the problem.

So verse 9 refers to hell, but interestingly doesn't actually, despite how your conditioned mind might see it, refer to any sort of eternal punishment.  It refers to eternal destruction.  Something is destroyed and it never comes back.  In my mind, the jury is still out with regard to the whole annihilationism argument.

It also refers to hell as simply separation from God, which I like the idea of as it doesn't have God specifically torturing people, but rather just letting them get whatever they work for.  Ie. nothing.  We get nothing when we get what we deserve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home