My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Monday, December 17, 2007

2 Timothy 1

Case-based society

Summary:
You rock, Tim. I'm so thankful for you. You've got to turn the spark of a gift God gave you into a roaring fire. The Spirit God gave you is one of power.

Don't be scared to speak of Jesus or of me. By the power of God you will cope if you have to suffer like me. We are heralds of the grace of Jesus that has always been to destroy death. We suffer for this.

Keep doing what I told you. So many people have left me, but God bless those who haven't.

Key verse:
7. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

My thoughts:
I wonder on what basis was it chosen that this word 'spirit' be given a lower-case s. Of course it doesn't matter because we know that the original Greek this was written in didn't use case as a linguistic device at all, but the NIV translators chose to determine that this spirit is referring to Timothy's own personal spirit, rather than the gift of the Holy Spirit. At face value, I would assume that Paul is referring to the Spirit.

Fanning your gift into flame is an interesting concept. It brings up the idea that we can, in fact, increase our gifting by some sort of personal development programme. I feel that we don't really consider this or try to do this much as Christians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home