My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Saturday, December 29, 2007

Hebrews 5

Priscillicious

Summary:
High priests are made to represent, and that's what Jesus does. He is humble and understands other people's weaknesses. They are chosen by God, just as Jesus was, chosen to be in the order of Melchizedek. Jesus was always obedient, so he suffered and became our salvation for evermore.

It takes a while to learn all this. Like babies, you need milk and need time before you move onto solid food.

Key verse:
14. solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

My thoughts:
Melchizedek is a cool guy. It's interesting that Mr. Hebrews goes back to Melchizedek rather than to Aaron or Zadok or Joshua (the latter) or anyone else. I think that this isn't really an innovation as a lot of tradition and significance had built up around Melchizedek but it does align with the sense I get from the Pauline letters that he is appealing to truths from before Moses, back to Abraham.

If this is milk... then I wanna know what solid food is! 6-day creationism?

Anywho... for all my previous statements regarding Mr. Hebrews, I have discovered the wikiality* that some people consider the author of Hebrews to be Priscilla, which may be possible, but it appears that their main reason is because it is anonymous so those woman-hating fathers of our faith must've cut out the woman's name. That reason doesn't fly so well with me. But it could've been Priscilla.

*Wikiality is a registered trademark of Comedy Central and The Colbert Report.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

speaking of 6-day creationism:

I just realised that the main creationist organisation is the Institute of Creation Research (ICR).

The main Japanese whaling organisation is the Insitute of Cetacean Research (ICR).

I wonder if there is actually a connection between the two ICRs?

Both are organisations supposedly conducting scientific research but blatantly pushing a farcical non-scientific agenda... :P

3:47 pm

 
Blogger Pete W said...

I don't think there's any doubt...

7:04 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home