My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1 John 4

The source of love

Summary:
Don't believe everything you hear. If a spirit says that Jesus came in the real flesh is godly, otherwise don't listen to it. God in us trumps the world outside, so we win.

Love comes from God and flows through us. You cannot know God without love. He is love. He loved us first and makes his love complete in us, so we don't have to fear judgement. We know that God's in us and that he sent Jesus. We rely on his love. It gets rid of our fear.

You can't love God and hate others.

Key verse:
19. We love because he first loved us.

My thoughts:
This is just a fantastic chapter that I think you should just read lots. It makes the source of our love clear, something non-religious people cannot do. It shows us how we don't have to fear judgement because it's not based on our love, but God perfecting his love through us. That's pretty sweet. Once again, John is weeding out heretics who don't value love.

I could've had so many other key verses, but I think verse 19 most simply encapsulates the sentiment for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home