My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, January 10, 2008

James 4

Planless

Summary:
You squabble because you don't get what you want. Your motives are wrong. Don't be like the rest of the world. They are opposed to God. So run from Satan and towards God. Be good and happy. Don't judge each other or say nasty things.

Don't make a big detail about your future plans. God might have something else in store!

Key verse:
14. Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

My thoughts:
The more well-known verse in this chapter is about resisting the devil, but I chose not to put it here because it's so typical. I prefer verse 14, which doesn't make you feel good but is very real. Hold plans lightly, and know that God's plan is the one that happens! In this verse there is no expectations for us to be sure of what God's plan for our life is, yet we spend so much time trying to figure it out!

This is all the justification I need for making no plans and just doing whatever! w00t!

So it appears that motives are important when we pray for stuff. Despite Mr. Philippians telling us that motives don't matter! Okay, so maybe I'm stretching Philippians a bit. I'm sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home