My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Revelation 3

Mmmm... Godvomit...

Summary:
Yo, Sardis, wake up! You might look alive, but you ain't. If you don't pull finger, then I'll come when you least expect it. Some of you have it sorted.
Philadelphia, you're weak but obedient. The door is open. Your enemies will submit to you, and I'll keep you from the coming struggles.
And finally, Laodicea. Be hot or cold! Just don't be lukewarm like you are. You claim wealth, but you're filthy and poor. I want you to repent and find me and become rich. I'm waiting for you to let me in.

Key verse:
20. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

My thoughts:
The message to the Laodiceans is quite well known for its rant about lukewarmness and for the key verse. The lukewarmness part is simply a reminder that following God is not a part of your life, it is all of you and needs to be that. There are a lot of lukewarm Christians, and we must call ourselves to be hot, and call others.

The key verse is just a cool expression of the response we need to make to Jesus. There are a few famous pictures of this, but they all have a very nice and normal looking Jesus. He should have fire-eyes, and glow like the sun with a double-edged sword out his mouth whlist holding seven stars. That would be more accurate in this passage.

Anywhom, notice that these messages aren't addressed to the churches, but to the angels of the churches, which presents the interesting idea that churches each have their own guardian angel. Quite a cool idea.

Could just be meaning human messengers though, eg. John.

I can't wait to get to the New Jerusalem and see how this all actually works!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home