My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Thursday, February 14, 2008

Revelation 18

Ode to a city's doom

Summary:
Then someone sang of the fall of the woman 'Babylon', where so many had come to sin. Another voice called people to leave her and give her her due punishment. Though some of her fellow sinning kings mourned her, and merchants who could no longer trade all their things, including souls. The wealth has gone! The sailors will mourn at her sudden demise.

But you, God's saints, will rejoice. She was thrown down like a massive rock into water. Nothing will happen there again.

Key verse:
20. Rejoice over her, O heaven!
Rejoice, saints and apostles and prophets!
God has judged her for the way she treated you.

My thoughts:
This is a big triumph over a city's doom. Some are happy about it, some aren't. Sounds reasonably realistic!

I don't know what sort of chronology this is supposed to happen in with regard to the beast's demise. It seems to be a different plot thread and much more relevant to John's present situation, especially if the city is Rome.

This reminds me more of Old Testament prophecy. Good times.

Hear that? That's the sound of being up-to-date! That's the first time since, like, last September. Might be the longest I've been behind for, but anyway, I am now up-to-date with a couple of days to spare! And I've kept to my rule of only doing 2 chapters per day maximum. Go Pete!

The 18th of Feb will be the last day. For ages I thought it was the 19th, and I think my counter thing on the right is one day off, or I somehow missed a chapter which would be more disturbing! Anyway... it gets confusing with inclusive and exclusive counting etc. Getting close!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home