My daily exploration of the Bible, taking it one chapter at a time. If I do it everyday, it'll take 1189 days.



Friday, December 21, 2007

Titus 1

Paul writes letter; makes racist claims

Summary:
I send you this letter representing the awesome God who gives the promised eternal life.

I left you in Crete to choose elders. Choose good blameless ones with just one wife and who have good doctrine. Some Cretans still want to deceive by telling people they have to be circumcised amongst other things. Like they say, you can't trust a Cretan! Those 'teachers' have nothing pure about them.

Key verse:
12. Even one of their own prophets has said, "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons."

My thoughts:
Paul has no sons because he never married (or at least I assume that there is a casual link there...). So, with no respect for cultural traditions or context, I am going to outrageously claim that Paul calls people like Titus and Timothy his sons due to some sort of displaced emotions due to the lack of real sons.

So this chapter is pretty similar info to what Paul told Timothy about leader in the church. Paul seems to be saying that Cretans are more likely to be deceptive than other peoples, and uses an old Cretan quote to justify his outrageous generalisation. I don't think that Paul is truely trying to make a statement about the qualities of Cretans, but rather is just reminding Titus to be on his guard against people teaching bad doctrine. Bad doctrine, people!

Ja, so outrageous is my word of the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home